Monday, May 3, 2010

Running Away

This is something I wrote in my journal about a year ago and is something I think a lot of people struggle with. I thought it was interesting because although I still struggle with it, God has been showing me what commitment means and what truly living life abundantly means.

"I confess my want to just run away every time things get hard, every time I feel like I am getting in over my head. It's funny because I totally do it to myself and just dig a hole, it seems like, and then just jump in; I look up, realizing, I'm in a hole...
I know you don't want me to run away from my responsibility in fact, I feel like you are just waiting for me to invite you in to my responsibilities and let you be Lord of them again, or maybe for the first time in my life. Help me hand it over to you!"

It is so hard to give God back the lives we owe, but I'll leave you with this poem that often swims around in my head on days when I really want to skirt responsibility. It helps me to know I can trust God with my life and that He gives me rest and makes life so much better than I can ever make it.

"O Love that wilt not let me go, I rest my weary soul in Thee. I give Thee back the life I owe, that in Thine ocean depths it's flow, may richer, fuller, be."
- George Matheson

1 comment:

The Dunton's said...

Love the poem! I'm going to hang it on our wall I think.